Friday, October 13, 2006

Joe's Birthday dinner

Joe and Esther

Joe and Ruth at the group home

Tomorrow Joe will be 75 years old and we began the celebration this evening. I picked him up and we drove to Pappadeaux's Seafood Restaurant, and Esther met us there. Joe had all his favorites- fried catfish filets, fries, alligator tails, sweet potato pecan pie topped with vanilla ice cream, and of course, a couple of beers. It was a beautiful cool evening and we sat outside on patio at the restaurant and listened to the live band after we ate. It was a good start for his birthday celebration.

This morning I went to see Joe and at first he acted like he didn't know me and teased me, but he was glad to see me. He is kind of mad at me though and has been rather quiet both times I have seen him today. He told me if I left him again, he had a plan. I asked him what it was and he said he wouldn't tell me. Once he sees I am there visiting him every day, he will get less mad at me. He thought I was never coming back and just leaving him there. He did not ask if he could go home though, and I thought he would today since I was back from my trip. Maybe he has accepted he is staying there- I just do not know yet. When I took him back to his group home tonight after dinner and told him I would see him for his party tomorrow afternoon- he asked me, "aren't you staying all night?". I just said, no, I couldn't. Esther with us this evening was a good thing, as she can make him laugh and she takes such good care of him, and he likes her so much. So I did see that he would laugh for her at least. I am just the "bad guy" right now since I left him for a week. He will forget it soon and all will be ok.

Our waiter comp'd us all three desserts tonight because it was Joe's birthday and Esther's graduation celebration. So that was nice too!