Sunday, November 19, 2006

Is it fall yet?

Fall always makes me want to bake. Well, "fall" today in Phoenix was 85 degrees, very warm for November for here even, but I still got in the baking and cooking mood this weekend. First time in two months I have actually cooked. Saturday morning I made homemade chicken and vegetable soup that is to die for (yum, yum!) and this evening I baked pumpkin bread with walnuts. (yummy also) Guess it is just the time of the year. Nice to have real food in my house!
I also started with a bit of Christmas/holiday decorating. My sister Nancy in Kansas already has five Christmas trees up. I don't even have room for five trees! I hope to dig out more holiday things the day after Thanksgiving. Also, this weekend I addressed all my 100 plus Christmas cards, and did a Christmas letter to go with some of them, and am just waiting on stamps to arrive in mail from online post office. Since we have a new address this year, I plan to get them out early. I love doing things early- feels so good!
I did go see Joe today and spent an hour with him this afternoon. It was a "hard" hour- he was really out of it today. He was better yesterday than he was today, that is for sure. We sat out on the nice patio but he never said anything that made sense or completed a sentence. Then I took him inside and turned on Dallas Cowboys and Cardinals game- at least, I think that is what it was, and he watched the game until his dinnertime. It is always upsetting to me to see him like he was today. I just want to cry and there is nothing I can do about it.
I was also told he had (just before I came) removed all his clothes and then couldn't find what he wanted and walked through the home naked looking for someone to help him! That proves to me more than anything, the mental state he is in. That is just not the Joe I know, or used to know. And he doesn't even know that he did it. I am sure what happened is that he woke up from a nap and was wet and just wanted to get his wet clothes off. Then did not know where his dry and clean clothes were.
I was told up front that you can never expect the same care for your loved one as they get at home, but also that it is too hard for just one person to do. So you have to let go of perfection and get in return relief of stress. Two women at the home cannot be with every person all the time, when there are nine people to watch and care for. And I may be wrong, but I do not think the weekend care is as good as the weekday care. Those girls are really good, and I appreciate them. I do know while everything may not be perfect, they are kind and caring with Joe, and that is what is important.