Sunday, May 13, 2007

Just thinking

Just thinking...sometimes that is a good thing and sometimes it isn't.
I do want to go see a new movie that just came out- so after church this morning, I plan to do that. It is on Alzheimer's and is called Away From Her.
Will give my review of this after I see it.

Today is Mother's Day. I wish there were no holidays ever and we could just celebrate whatever whenever. I hate Thanksgiving and Christmas and I do not like any holidays. Holidays mean expectations and reminders of what is not there anymore and what has changed. Yes, Mother's Day was fine when my children were small or in school, and they created or bought small gifts and my husband grilled and we ate on patio and had a fun day. Thanksgivings meant everyone there in the family and lots of food and laughter and fun. Christmases were great- decorating, finding all the surprises and great gifts your kids wanted, and once again all the family there and lots of fun and laughter. The older you get the more it changes. Now all holidays mean is a reminder of how it used to be and no longer is.

There are more suicides and depression and sadness on holidays than any other day.
Half or more of everyone I know does not have happy holidays and they dread them. Their family lives in other states, have died, or they make their own families center of focus and neglect everyone else. I cannot count the people who tell me they do not like holidays and dread them. I think it would be better if all holidays were eliminated, and we did our celebration when the mood struck. Gave gifts whenever we wanted to. Had big dinners or shared experiences when it felt right. Who set up this stupid idea of having specific dates for things that eliminate half of the population? I would love to start a BIG cause to change this.

The only solution I see really, is to make alternate plans and be out of town, etc., but not always easy to accomplish. So we muddle through these rituals and wish it were different.