Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Wednesday update at the Hospice

There was a harpist at the Hospice unit today and she was wonderful. She told me she has been coming there and playing the harp and singing to patients since 2000. Her name is Danielle, and her specialty is music therapy. What a blessing and she comes once a week! She brought her harp to Joe's bedside and asked me his favorite music, and then she sang some Nat King Cole, Ray Charles, Frank Sinatra, and more. Then she brought in a CD and she has established a diverse library of CD's for the Hospice (she visits 3 other hospice units also). She put on Jazz torch songs- I think she said 40 songs and put it right by his bed near his head, and he never opened his eyes, but he smiled.
He would not wake up today, and barely opened his eyes for only a few minutes. He was not interested in eating either. The lunch served was perfect for him to eat, but I only got a few bites in him, and then he began choking on everything. So then he refused all food and I do not blame him. Too hard to eat anything when all you do is choke, and it was scary too.
I had no idea I would agree to this so soon, but I gave my ok for him to have puree foods. That is better than not eating at all, so that is what is going to happen.
He is losing so much weight.
It is a good feeling knowing he is in good hands with so many caring people at Hospice. Maria, the chaplain came in and talked to him, and he never opened his eyes then either, but he smiled once at something she said to him. So he does hear and hears better than he used to (it seems, might be wrong). Maria told me hearing is last thing to go, but for him it has gotten better, at least for awhile.
I have also had a talk today with Diana, the dementia RN, and she feels he may be able to continue staying at hospice and not have to go anywhere, and that is my hope and prayer, so please say a prayer he can stay there and not have to be moved again. He seems to like it there, and everyone there is so wonderful, loving, and caring.
Monday evening I am moving his things from the group home, as he cannot go back there. That is my last paid for day there. It is another new chapter now.