Monday, September 18, 2006

Day Two for Joe

Sunday, September 17, 2006
Day Two for Joe at the group home

Esther and I went to see Joe about 3:30 on Sunday afternoon, as that had given Joe time to have several meals and two naps there and one whole night. I was hoping he had begun to adjust to the home.

He was sitting in the living room watching TV and was in pretty good spirits. I think he was hoping we were there to take him home though.
A few other residents came into the room also. I told Joe I had brought some DVD’s for him to watch, and he acted like I should just take them home as he would not be there long enough to watch them. I told him he might get tired of TV and want to see them while I was gone to Chicago.
He said, "Are you still riding that horse? You’ve been riding this horse for a long time!!”

I then saw and heard he was upset that I was still here and had not left on any trip and yet had put him in the home. I tried to explain to him, but a bit later Heidi and Jimmy came to see him, and he told Heidi about this. He even asked her if I was leaving that day and she said no. He said is she leaving tomorrow and Heidi said no. And he said, I bet she won’t leave for several days! (which is true, of course)

He was pretty good today and great with everyone but me, and I could see he was angry at me. We stayed until he finished dinner and told him bye and he was very quiet when we left, and I was very upset.

Esther and I went out to dinner and talked about it all for a very long time.
So goes day two, and now I rather dread going tomorrow.