Helen Keller once said " The best and most beautiful things cannot be seen, nor touched....but are felt in the heart." That was certainly true today for me.
This morning I attended Herman Goldberg's graveside services at Beth Israel Cemetery in Phoenix. It was beautiful and touching, and I was so glad I went to the services. He was a much loved man and will be very much missed. Each of his four grandsons spoke about memories with their grandfather, as did Herman's son, Steve and daughter, Amy. His son-in-law spoke also and said Herman called him his # 1 son-in-law (he was the only one) and so he called Herman his #1 grandfather. I know Herman was everyone's #1 friend. His son did not seem surprised to see me but his daughter was. They knew I had only known him a short time and they hugged me and welcomed me and I know they were glad I came. It was a day that really touched my heart.
This afternoon I spent a couple hours at the group home with Joe, and he was calm, happy and just wonderful. I sat by him and held his hand and we talked, and all seemed well to me. I am so proud of how he has adjusted and seems now to enjoy the group home. He never complains about anything except now and then about Jules asking for help all the time. But even Jules was better today. Today the home owners, Jana and Peter, talked to me at the funeral services and told me how much they loved Joe and what a sweet and wonderful man he was. As I always say, everyone loves Joe. "Raymond" just thinks everyone loves Raymond, but we know for sure that everyone loves Joe! Linda Bliss came to the home while I was there and she brought Joe cookies from Paradise Bakery. She said she wanted to be one of his girlfriends too! I had told her about Susan and Maggie being his "girlfriends"!
I bought 4 packets of vegetable seeds today so Linda and Maggie, and whoever wants to, can help Joe start a garden in the backyard! I expect to see some sprouts growing when I get back from my trip! (we hope)
Thank you God for a good day.
