I chose to ignore what I was being told this weekend. But today I had to face it.
I was told by the caregiver at the home on Saturday that Joe would not eat lunch. Finally, she had to feed him. I knew this was a first, and I thought it was an exception and decided to ignore it. But today when Joe was given the leftover ribs from the Outback that he had last evening, he did not know how to eat them. Last night he did the same thing and tried to eat the ribs with a fork. He got frustrated and then perturbed at me for suggesting he use his fingers and pick up the ribs. He did the same thing tonight.
The caregiver at the home tonight had to tell him to use his fingers. Finally, he did do that. Then she came and told me he was starting to not know how to eat. She said it is another stage of Alzheimers. I have been to caregiver support groups many times but had never heard that. That information really upset me. I had a very hectic and chaotic day today but this was the final straw. I have been in tears or on verge of tears most of this day. I looked up the stages online and found this:
Stage 7:
Very severe cognitive decline(Severe or late-stage Alzheimer's disease)
This is the final stage of the disease when individuals lose the ability to respond to their environment, the ability to speak and, ultimately, the ability to control movement.
Frequently individuals lose their capacity for recognizable speech, although words or phrases may occasionally be uttered.
Individuals need help with eating and toileting and there is general incontinence of urine.
Individuals lose the ability to walk without assistance, then the ability to sit without support, the ability to smile, and the ability to hold their head up. Reflexes become abnormal and muscles grow rigid. Swallowing is impaired.
II think Joe is between stage 6 and 7. He has lost many of his words. He needs help with almost everything, but he does still smile and laugh and even joke. He can still walk, and just needs help getting in and out of chairs. He does hold his head up and can sit without support. So I do not think he is at stage 7 yet, but it scares me to read about it, as I can see the beginning of these things already.
I really realized today I had done the right thing placing him in a group home.
I have had days of wondering for sure about it, but as the days go by, I am more sure all the time. It is very sad, but I am glad he has such nice people caring for him and such a nice home.God bless him. I pray he knows he is loved. This breaks my heart.
