Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Alzheimer Support Group


I decided it was time for me to get back to attending Alzheimer support group meetings. Last year I attended the East Scottsdale Group at the Senior Center near Via Linda and 104th Street, and really liked that group. So today Betty Greathouse and I went to that meeting and learned a lot and enjoyed the meeting. We met a lovely woman, Charlene who has a mother with Alzheimers and just put her in a group home also. It is nice to make friends and have support. After the meeting Betty and I went to Auntchiladas and had lunch. It was a beneficial day for both of us. We plan to attend the next meeting which is two weeks from today. As Betty said, it is no accident we have bonded and are getting together more and talking more, as we do have mutual challenges and can learn from each other. Her 90 year old mother with some dementia is living with her and Betty needs help, as do we all. There is a quote I love and not sure I have it right, but it goes something like this-we are all angels with just one wing, and we are here to help each other fly. That reminds me of why we go to support groups, and I thank God for them every day, and also for FRIENDS.








Ruth and Betty