Thursday, November 02, 2006

A hard and frustrating day

This is a hard day to write about but I need to get it out. I picked up Joe this morning about 9:30 a.m. to take him to see his glaucoma specialist in Sun City. It is quite a distance from us, so I did not get there until 10:30. We were there over two hours and they were very stressful hours. Joe was not ok today and he resented every time I tried to help him. His mind may be "going" but he is still enough aware to get angry when you try to help him and he does not want to be helped. He still thinks he can do "whatever" and gets angry if you tell him to do it differently. He is not only getting angry at me, but the girl who took him to the Parkinson exercise class this week, said he got angry at her several times for trying to help him in the class. She said he said some bad words to her and even told her to leave him alone. He was that way with me today also. It makes everything you do with him very frustrating. He also could not follow the nurse or doctor's instructions very well today either. The pressure was higher in his left eye, which is only eye he has (right eye he cannot see at all with), so eye drop meds had to be changed, and worst news of all, we have to go back in two weeks.

After the doctor appointment I had to take him to lunch because he missed lunch at his group home. He wanted shrimp fried rice, so we went to Bamboo Hut on Thunderbird. He did manage to eat his soup but tried to stir his cup of hot tea with a fork, and tried to eat the sauces thay put on the table. He was confused about everything on the table. He ate all the shrimp and some of the rice, but got very mad at me when I would correct him on something he did wrong. He just glared at me. (this when I tried to get him to use napkin or correct utensils)
I can see it is getting to where it will be hard to take him out to eat. We have decided he will not go to the "Art of Moving" Parkinson exercise classes anymore, as he will not do what he needs to do. I do not know if he is just refusing to do it, or can't do it anymore. He also does not want to use his cane sometimes, or be helped going up and down curbs. He nearly fell twice today.
His balance is very shaky and he does need help, but gets angry when someone tries to help him. I was glad to get him back to his home at 2:15. Almost five hours with him today, pretty much did me in- I felt exhausted and very sad. He is harder to deal with than a two year old child, because he gets so stubborn and angry. "God Bless the child" in Joe.