Wednesday, November 01, 2006
You have to be creative!
Today I was at Joe's group home for two hours, but never really had any one-on-one time with him. And that is ok. He is hard to communicate with anymore, and he is happy if he just sees that I am there. I had a meeting there at 2:00 and sat at the dining room table and part of the time he sat at the table too. He talked to us now and then and seemed happy and always enjoys contributing to any conversation. Then at 3:00 his activity class started and when I left at 4:00 he was still in the group with the other residents. They had played some games with a large ball and listened to music and did various activities. His glasses had been lost for 2-3 days. Rosie finally found them today in another resident's room. They all lay down their glasses and watches and other things, and then they just pick up each others things. Today Joe had someone else's watch, so I had him give it back to the caregivers and they said it belonged to another resident. Keeping track of the glasses is the biggest problem, I think. Today I went to the drugstore and got a gold colored eyeglass chain and scanned the entire store until I found something soft out of foam with a hole in the middle, so I could put it on his glasses with his name. I looked in every dept. of the store, and finally found something in office supplies called "pencil pillows". I think it is going to work-I hope! I always have said I have to be creative to solve some of the challenges! Tomorrow Joe sees his glaucoma specilist so he has to take his glasses with him.
