Thursday, December 14, 2006

Christmas lunch with Joe

The air here is awful and has been last few days. But the weather is great.
Today I picked up Joe at his group home at 10:40 and took him to his six month dental cleaning. Then we had a "Christmas lunch" at Claim Jumper's in Scottsdale. It is the last time I am going to take Joe where they have ribs, because that is always what he wants. So he had barbecued ribs and mashed potatoes and gravy, and I had halibut fish and chips with thai slaw (very good). It was a nice lunch and a nice outing, but Joe got very mad at me when I tried to get him to eat his ribs with his fingers. He is now trying to eat them with a fork, which we know is impossible. I was actually afraid he was going to cause a scene, so I said I was just trying to help him and he said he didn't think I was helping him. Anyway, he finally cooled off and I just let him do what he wanted after that. Somehow we got through the lunch! Next time I will make a different choice where I take him. He does like the lunch or dinner outings though. I never know for sure if I am doing a good thing or not, as it gets him out of his routine, and he needs his routine. When we pulled up in front of his home, he said "well, I am back with my people." And he did not make a fuss about going back in this time, and was fine.