Tuesday, December 05, 2006

A wonderful movie!

This evening I went to see the movie "BOBBY" about Bobby Kennedy. I do not even know where to begin-the movie is so wonderful, and if you do not see another movie this month, see "BOBBY". The movie uses all the 1968 film footage and TV reporting of the events, and interweaves it with the story. This best describes the movie:

"The film is about being at critical mass -- critical mass in relationships or between race, and the hotel and the characters under its roof serve as a microcosm for what was happening in the country during that time."
"Bobby" will focus the hours leading up to Robert F Kennedy's assassination at the Los Angeles Ambassador Hotel on June 4th, 1968.

The movie is about all the people in the hotel and surrounding the event, and is very unusual and well done. When Bobby was shot, and THE SOUND OF SILENCE was being played (no words spoken), I was crying and never stopped through the end of the movie. I have never literally SOBBED at a movie before but I did this one. I was glad I went alone to see the movie. There was only about six people in the theatre and I could hear other people crying too.

It was one of the best movies I have ever seen, and having lived through this and remembering it all so well, just brought back all the same emotions from 1968 when Martin Luther King died and Bobby died, only about 3 months apart.
What a movie! I so wish Joe could see it-he would love it, but am afraid to take him to see it.

I did go see Joe today and he was smiling but rather quiet. We did talk a bit and have conversations with other people there, and then after I had been there about 15-20 minutes, Joe got up and said he had to go to the bathroom. He left and never came back. I knew he had gone to bed and he had. So I left and went to the movie.

Back to the movie, there were times in Bobby Kennedy's speeches that I could hear Barack Obama's voice. He is speaking the same language, the same story, and the same HOPE.
It made me wonder how different things might have been and might even be today, if Bobby had not been assasinated. It makes me sad to think again about the LOSS we all suffered when this happened. Do not miss this movie. It will drag all your emotions to the surface, and make you wish things had been different.

Whenever any American's life is taken by another American unnecessarily - whether it is done in the name of the law or in the defiance of the law, by one man or a gang, in cold blood or in passion, in an attack of violence or in response to violence - whenever we tear at the fabric of the life which another man has painfully and clumsily woven for himself and his children, the whole nation is degraded.
What has violence ever accomplished? What has it ever created? No martyr's cause has ever been stilled by an assassin's bullet.

No wrongs have ever been righted by riots and civil disorders. A sniper is only a coward, not a hero; and an uncontrolled, uncontrollable mob is only the voice of madness, not the voice of reason.

Yet we seemingly tolerate a rising level of violence that ignores our common humanity and our claims to civilization alike. We calmly accept newspaper reports of civilian slaughter in far-off lands. We glorify killing on movie and television screens and call it entertainment. We make it easy for men of all shades of sanity to acquire whatever weapons and ammunition they desire.
Our lives on this planet are too short and the work to be done too great to let this spirit flourish any longer in our land. Of course we cannot vanquish it with a program, nor with a resolution.

But we can perhaps remember, if only for a time, that those who live with us are our brothers, that they share with us the same short moment of life; that they seek, as do we, nothing but the chance to live out their lives in purpose and in happiness, winning what satisfaction and fulfillment they can.
Surely, this bond of common faith, this bond of common goal, can begin to teach us something. Surely, we can learn, at least, to look at those around us as fellow men, and surely we can begin to work a little harder to bind up the wounds among us and to become in our own hearts brothers and countrymen once again.
..........Robert F. Kennedy

“He should be remembered simply as a good and decent man who saw wrong and tried to right it, saw suffering and tried to heal it, saw war and tried to stop it.”
.........Edward M. Kennedy of his brother.