Saturday, January 27, 2007

Fun in Scottsdale!


This evening I was gifted with a free ticket to see live theatre with my massage therapist, Miriam. She volunteers for the Scottsdale Arts Center and received a couple free tickets. I was very happy she chose to share one with me, and even picked me up and drove me there with her. I had never been there before and always wanted to go.
The play was "The Island", and it was only two male African American actors, who were excellent. We both had trouble catching all the words though as they were sometimes difficult to understand, but we heard enough to get the story and to enjoy it.
It was set in apartheid South Africa, and explores the lives of two political prisoners incarcerated on notorious Robben Island prison.
They do hard labor by day in a stone quarry, and at night prepare a performance of Antigone for other inmates and prison staff.
During his 27 year imprisonment, Nelson Mandela also staged Antigone-a tribute to a fellow freedom fighter and a gesture of defiance. This play is described as an "outstanding commentary on the sufferings of wronged humanity."
I really enjoyed seeing the Scottsdale library and the grounds and fountains and want to go back! Also- we got to view the display "Scottsdale in Jello"- WOW! Amazing! We talked to Liz Hitchcock, the artist and creator of all the buildings at the Arts Center done in jello, as well as the waterfront. And...I also finally got to see the fabulous LOVE sculpture and took a couple photos of it. I hope to go to the Scottsdale Arts Festival there in March!