


Monday, February 26th, my dear friend Jean Wong, would be 50 years old. Jean died last summer of cancer at age 49. She was my friend for 25 years. Tonight about 40 friends and family gathered to celebrate Jean's 50th birthday. She would have loved it. In fact, I believe she was there with us and did love it! This photo is Cricket cutting Jean's birthday cake, and an incredible poster of photos of Jean created by a friend. All the Wong family was there and her sister Doris said to me, "I have gotten to know my sister through her friends."
It was catered with barbecue from Honey Bears and lots of appetizers, fresh veggies, and all kinds of goodies to eat. Lonnie was supposed to give a talk about Jean, but he had a mild heart attack and was in the hospital. Jean so wanted him to do her funeral and he had to be out of town that day, and so he never did get to speak about her. Tonight I think Jean would have been pleased though, as Lonnie's wife, Michelle (who is my minister) filled his shoes. She spoke beautifully and read the notes Lonnie had prepared for his talk tonight and it was all truly beautiful. Then she had anyone who wanted to speak, to come up to microphone and tell anything they wanted about Jean and how she had affected and touched their lives. Aboout 20 people spoke and one was me. I knew Jean would be "ticked' if I did not get up and speak for her, and I also knew how happy she must be that I am now taking care of myself. For years she was on my case all the time about that, and trying her best to get me to do it. I also wanted to tell her about the handmade card I created for her. There was laughter and tears as her friends spoke about her. She was an amazing woman that touched more lives than anyone could have imagined. I meant to stay a short time and stayed the entire time and loved every second of the celebration of Jean's life. After all had spoken, Rev. Michelle said she never knew Jean but she knew that each of us are a sum of all people that have been in our lives, and knowing that her husband Lonnie and Jean were very close for many years, she knew that all that was Jean is now a part of her beloved husband Lonnie, and she thanked Jean for that! Very moving and touching. I love Michelle, she is so wonderful. How many wives would be so loving to do that? I am so happy I know this wonderful woman and am so happy she is my minister. Then a group photo of all of us was taken and when I get a copy of it, will put it on my blog.
Today at noon I went to Tempe and took my grandson, Trevor to lunch at his favorite Mexican restaurant, Serrano's. After a nice lunch with him, I came back home, and then spent two hours upstairs with my neighbor, Tanya, at her condo- talking, talking, talking. We had a very good visit and had lots to talk about.
When I got home tonight just before 10:00, my phone was ringing, and it was Deidre calling from Illinois with some very upsetting news, that did turn out ok. My seven month old grandaughter, Emma Ruth, fell out of a grocery cart today about noon and hit her head. She has a slight fracture in her skull, but the cat scan showed no bleeding. The fracture will heal in 6-8 weeks and she has to be in the hospital tonight. Deidre was very upset and staying with her at the hospital. It was a very scary thing. But she is going to be ok and that is the good news. I told Deidre to say thank you because it was not any worse, and to realize it happened as a warning and this fall that caused no real harm in the end, could have prevented a worse one from happening, because now she is aware of what to do and what not to do. I told her to just accept it as a warning and say thanks. She agreed with me. I am so sorry my precious baby fell but I know she will be ok.
Life is never dull and we do get some unexpected surprises. But all is well, thank you God.
