Thursday, May 03, 2007

Latest news on Joe

Today I met my friend Elaine for breakfast at Good Egg, and then we went to see Joe. Elaine had not visited him since he has been in care home. Joe has known Elaine for years, but he did not know who she was today at all. He just stared vacantly at her and even admitted he did not know her, which he usually doesn't do.
We did sit and talk with him, or really talked to each other while Joe listened and added his comments now and then. I showed them both Lenor's wedding party photos I had taken, and Joe enjoyed seeing them, or seemed to. His hospice nurse, Millie, was there today and I asked her what she thought about Joe and she told me he was MUCH worse mentally. I had realized that but needed to know for sure. I have seen changes in just past two weeks or so. I asked her if she had seen changes physically, and she said she would weigh him today as she checked him every week because he has been losing weight. So I do not know yet if he has lost more weight. Other than that, we don't see any physical changes. Elaine and I toured the home and yard and sat and talked while they all had lunch. After lunch, Joe sat in living room with us for awhile and then just got up and walked out of the room. I figured he was going to bed, and that is what he had done. So since he was asleep, we left. We were there a couple hours but he was very unresponsive today and not his normal smiling self. He was like this on Tuesday when I saw him also, but not quite as bad as today.