I left home at 11:00 this morning to go to Joe's care home to spend time with him and check on him, then feed him lunch. Thought I would be home by 1:00 probably. It turned out to be 8 hours later when I came home. Joe is now in a hospice facility near the 101 and Shea in northeast Phoenix- or is it Scottsdale-sort of all runs together in that area, so not sure.
I had called the hospice social worker I work with this morning and asked her about him being in a hospice facility but was not sure he was ready for that. I needed her to assess him and see what she thought. It was my gut feeling he needed to go, as the care would be better. She called me when I was there and said she would be there at 1:30. She and his hospice nurse, Millie. both came and stayed for an hour. When I finally asked her what she thought, she said no one could know for sure but that it was her gut feeling he was dying and should go to the facility. Millie agreed and even said that in her 7-8 years as a hospice nurse, she had not seen anyone decline so quickly and rapidly. She saw him last Tuesday and could not believe the difference in him today.
They did all the paperwork and made the proper calls and said an ambulance would pick him up between 3-4 pm. It turned out that the ambulance did not get there until 5:30 and by the time we got him to the hospice and assessed and settled in, it was 7:00. It terrified Joe being put on the stretcher and he never understood what was going on. I tried to tell him when I saw the ambulance pull up, but it was obvious he never understood what I was telling him. I just said we are moving you to another building so you can be better cared for. His eyes were size of saucers, and his arms were up in the air moving every which way. He does this all day long, even when he is asleep. We believe he is doing the work he used to do. Samantha, the social worker, asked him if he was working and he said yes. She asked him what kind of work he was doing and he said "construction". He use to pre-wire new homes as they were under construction. So that is what he is doing and he works hard, as he works all day long, asleep or awake. It is mesmerizing to watch him. To quiet his arms after we got to hospice, I would rub his arms over and over, and it seemed to calm him and he stopped moving them.
It has been quite the day. Tears off and on all day, many emotions. The girls cried when he left the care home. Everyone loves him wherever he goes. His nurse said they will fall in love with him at the hospice too. All day I felt honored to be with him through this process. He is a special person, and there is nothing easy about all of this, but I know it is all as it is meant to be.
