The heat did me in this afternoon. I was at Joe's home 2 hours this morning, some of that we had musical entertainment which was good, and another part of it, Heidi was there. She had an appt. way north of Joe's- well around Bell Rd. and Thompson Peak Pkwy., so she came by and stayed awhile and she said Joe was so much worse than he was 2 weeks ago when she saw him, she started crying. I know how she feels. I have cried a lot this week too.
Hospice is delivering his wheelchair today and also an alarm, which will clip to him and go off if he tries to get out of the chair, and they can also clip to him at night, so if he fell out of bed or tried to get up, it would also go off. This is all for his safety. He just stares into space and we had to physically move him from TV/family room to living room, so he would look at us, and not out the arcadia door- looking at what, we do not know. Every time the doorbell rings, which is very frequent, Joe wants to get out of his wheelchair and answer the door. He does think it is his house and his door and he should do it.
I called Nancy while we were there and he did talk to her (sort of). He actually said sentences to her, but often his voice is so low, she could not hear him. I deal with that all the time as most of the time you can't hear him. Nancy is a jokster and she makes him laugh so I often have her talk to him, to get him smiling. Then Heidi talked to Nancy for awhile also.
There used to be one wheelchair at the table for meals, and now there is 5 and one more of a man who never eats at the table with them, so now 6 of the 9 are in wheelchairs, and actually Bill is in one a lot too, so that makes 7 in the home in wheelchairs. It is weird.
I also had a nice chat with Bill's wife, Pat and daughter, Mimi, who lives in Prescott. Such nice people. Pat is going with me to Alzheimer support group this next week. We also have a new woman at the home, Elsie who will be 95 on Monday, and we should all look so good! Her daughter was there too and a friend and it was fun talking to everyone. Such a wonderful place.
Joe has no idea how good he has it! But I know, and it makes me happy to have him in this special caring home.
Life goes on in this heat. I will get in the pool tonight and that is very cooling in the evenings- have done that 4 nights this week. Night before last I went over to my friend Belinda's, and a couple more friends from our cancer support group came over and we had a fun time for several hours in Belinda's gorgeous pool-she lives at the base of Piestewa Peak and it is so private and beautiful- after a couple hours in the pool we sat on deck and had snacks and watched the moon and mountain and beautiful sky, and just talked and talked...great fun! As I always say-thank God for friends!
