Monday, August 20, 2007

Brooke Astor

Brooke Astor (March 30, 1902 – August 13, 2007) was an American philanthropist and socialite who was the chairwoman of the Vincent Astor Foundation, which had been established by her third husband. She was also a novelist and wrote two volumes of memoirs.

From Heidi this morning:

I couldn't remember when we were having dinner what Ms. Astor's first name was....I knew it was a B name. I thought Blythe, but knew that wasn't right. At about 3:30 a.m. it came to me. Her name was Brooke Astor, and it was either her father (probably not grandfather) than was the very wealthy man who drowned on the Titanic.

Just think, no one really knows what "so, you think your Ms. Astor?" means but a privileged few....

The story behind all this:
My mother and grandmother used to say the expression "oh, she thinks she's Ms. Astor!" all the time and especially if anyone was being what they thought was "uppity". These hundreds of old expressions I heard all through my growing up years in Oklahoma, are all stored in my brain, and when they pop out and I actually say them I am stunned and wonder where that came from! This happened at dinner last night. I was telling Heidi that Emma Ruth was walking all be herself (and very proud of herself too!) and I said "she thinks she's Ms. Astor!"-just meaning she is highly impressed with what she is doing and very proud of doing it! Everyone started laughing and I was shocked I had used that old expression. Heidi then told a story of how when she was 18 and had her first real job, and got her first credit card- she went to Goldwater's and bought all these things. When she brought them home to show me, I said to her "who do you think you are, Ms. Astor?"

Of course, I do not remember this but Heidi swears it happened and I am sure it did.
Trevor is cracking up and says "who is Ms. Astor?"
He claims he had never ever heard me say that before. I think Jimmy said Heidi had said it once, as we tend to use the old expressions our mom's used without even realizing it sometimes. Funny, how this old stuff is stored in the brain and surprises one when it suddenly appears.
I told Heidi today anyone as old as me will probably remember the expression and certainly know who Ms. Astor was!
Anyway, it was the source of much laughing last evening and I am still laughing about it today. Laughter is the best medicine, so it is all good.