The good news is the meeting on Joe will not happen until NEXT Monday. I asked for this and they said ok. I love Hospice of the Valley, They reinforce for me that they were founded for the FAMILY, and always their first question to me is "how are you coping?", "what do you need?", "we are here for you.". When I told them I was going out of town Friday through Sunday, they said no need for us to rush then, and also that it gives them more time to get plans made for Joe, and also to see how he does this week. The doctor who would be at the meeting (who is over this unit of hospice) had no free time to meet this week anyway, except late Wednesday afternoon. So everything just fell in place, as it was supposed to.
Joe was very aware and doing really good today. He is very difficult to wake up, but the nurses know all the tricks and are good at waking him. Once he was awake they rolled him to move him a bit, and then I fed him his lunch. He ate every bite that was on the plate, and then thanked me for the food! He drank a full glass of cranberry juice, most of a glass of water, and shredded chicken with sauce and noodles, and some vegetables, and then a cup of ice cream!
He is totally different from how he was last Monday when he was put into hospice. At the meeting we will talk about his options and what is best for him, and they will have an idea where a bed might be open in a nursing home with trained staff. It is still a possibility he could go back to the home he was in, but that will also be discussed. I just have no real faith he could adequately be cared for there, at the stage he is in now. In past three weeks there have been major changes with him.
I am very happy he can stay at hospice another week, as the care is so good there, and the people are all wonderful who work there.Two people there have stolen my heart- one is a volunteer named Norma, and the other is the chaplain, Maria. They
are both too wonderful for words. Thank you Spirit for this blessing.
