Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Even a chocolate cream pie didn't help!

I was told today that Joe woke up unhappy. This is rare for him. He is usually always in a good mood. I have not seen him like this before. He did not really want to eat much today and refused food this morning. He has been just plain grumpy the entire day.
I bought his favorite chocolate cream pie at Marie Callender's and took to him. He ate a small piece of it- didn't refuse it that is for sure, but never smiled. Afterwards I asked him if he liked the pie, and he said (in a not very happy tone), "it was all right." Not his usual reaction to chocolate cream pie.
He never smiled, never said he loved me today, and was generally in a very bad mood.
I did feed him a small amount of mashed potatoes and gravy before the pie, but he did not eat very much at all. He was thirsty so I gave him some cranberry juice. He would only open his mouth a tiny bit and I could not get the food in his mouth. I asked him to please open his mouth more, and he tried to hit me! Now that was a surprise. Not a good day.
He never understood it was our anniversary and never understood the reason I brought the pie, and never grasped anything really. He was definitely in another world today.

He did talk some but it was mostly his lips moving and no sound or little sound, so you never know what he is saying. And he did lots of moving his arms in the air, and doing all the strange things with his hands and arms that he has been doing for weeks.
I watched the news on the TV in his room and when he fell asleep, I left.
Let's hope tomorrow will be happier for him.