This from Phoenix news:
We did it. At 12:40 p.m. Wednesday, we broke the record for the most days at or above 110 degrees in a given year: 29.
The good news: The National Weather Service forecast for the end of the week calls for temperatures staying below 110.
As I write this it is 110 degrees. But I am cool as a cucumber and could care less.
It is odd, even I complain about the Phoenix heat in August- can't ever remember a year in the 40 summers I have been here that I haven't complained. Oh, maybe the first summer, or even the second. It never seemed that bad to me then and I couldn't understand why people got cold here in the winter. I have never worn a winter coat in Arizona, but then who does? That's the part that keeps you here! No snow, no ice, no scraping ice from icy windshields, not any of that stuff- thank goodness!
But this year is different too. I doubt I have complained this summer, or this August at all. In fact, the three summer months (ending as of Aug. 31st, tomorrow) have gone by in a blip to me. I can't believe we have had summer and I have never noticed. I was not aware of the heat this year until I heard people complaining, and then I did pause and wonder why.
I think when you have worse problems, the heat does not get noticed. It is the only explanation I can come up with. I never even know it is that hot, or what the temperature is, until I hear it on radio or TV or someone tells me, and everyone knows I don't read the paper anymore or watch TV much, and it is a rare, rare day I even know what the news is.
I guess I focused more on that stuff when I had no real problems to focus on.
To me, this summer went by in a blink of my eye, and the weather was fine.
Now, on to other matters of more importance, at least to me. I saw Joe today at noon, as I have realized the only times he might be awake is when they wake him to eat meals, of which he eats very little. He was half awake and did have his eyes open most of the time I was there. I was glad I went at noon, as his nurse from hospice came and I was able to talk to her and spend time there when she was with
Joe. His mouth was very dry. She says that may be why we can't understand his words, as his mouth and tongue were very dry. I did buy a "sippy" cup this afternoon and a small bottle with short attached straw and hope this will help him swallow more fluids. He has forgotten how to use a straw most of the time, and the liquid runs down his chin if he doesn't swallow what is given to him. He is about the same, not so grumpy today at least, but never smiled. His caregiver, Donna, said he did know his own name today when she asked him, and clearly said it to her, so that was good. Usually he doesn't know what his name is. Not sure he knew me today but think he did. And that is life and what matters for today.
