Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Joe's scheduled move......

It has been almost 4 weeks (on Saturday) since Joe's drastic changes and 4 weeks of feeding him every day, sometimes twice a day, and since my life really changed once again. Now with Joe moving back to another care home tomorrow, I hope that by next week I can start getting back to normal for me. Normal for me is exercising in the pool 4-5 times a week, and reading and doing class work for my Bachelors degree. I am almost done with my requirements, but had to stop everything this past four weeks. I know me, and I couldn't do classwork and reading, and care for Joe the way I wanted to. So I put the school work aside and feel this coming week I can begin to do my normal thing again. I plan to go feed him dinner tonight, since I had to miss his lunch because I had a dental appointment. I have an oncologist appt. at 11:00 tomorrow so may or may not get there for his lunch but will go after my appointment. The move to his new home is scheduled for between 1:00-2:00 Thursday (tomorrow) afternoon. Hospice send an ambulance to pick him up and I will follow the ambulance just as I did when he went to hospice on July 30th. He will have been in hospice about 17 days.
I did get to the pool this morning and spent 30 minutes exercising, and that felt good. I feel so much better when I do this.
The name of Joe's new home is Compass Rose, 6835 E. Pershing. The phone number is 602-699-5141. It is only 3-4 blocks from the Villa on Sweetwater, where he has been since last September. Hard to believe that in a few weeks he will have been in a care home for a year.
My friend Carmen Gress's obituary is in the newspaper today. She was just 67 years old. We were diagnosed with cancer around the same time and both in radiation at the same time. She made all my drapes and dust ruffles for the beds, and other things for me when I moved into this condo. We were friends for over 10 years and I will miss her. We had a lot of good times together. It is heck getting this age. Lots of good things about it, but the worst is that friends begin to die. I can remember when Joe and I hated to get calls from his mother, because every call to us she seemed to tell us about someone she knew dying. It seemed then like it would never happen to us. And then...here we are. And I feel blessed to still be breathing!