Thursday, August 16, 2007

Thursday- Day of Joe's move

The first thing I had to do today was go for my 6-month appointment with my oncologist. At my last appointment on January 31st. Rachel, the P.A. asked me how I was and I said "absolutely great-nothing wrong with me!" I was dreading seeing her today and vowed I would not answer how I was if she asked me. In January she discovered I had a heart rate of 300 and sent me directly for an EKG , and I was then sent to heart specialist. Have been on coumadin and heart meds ever since. Today I was hesitant but all my vitals and blood testing done today turned out great-in fact my heart rate was a wonderful 74 today and that made her happy (me too). Then she did a breast exam and was not happy with that especially, so now I have to go for a mammogram. I wasn't scheduled for my next one until January, but that all got changed today. Am asking everyone I know (me too) to affirm I am whole, well, complete, and have perfect health in every way.

Leaving there I headed to the hospice unit where Joe was, and at 1:30 pm the transport arrived in the "ambulette" (isn't that a cute name?) and took Joe to his new care home. Everyone at hospice was sad to see Joe leave but glad he was better and COULD leave. And by "better" we mean better than he was the day he arrived at hospice. He is of course, much worse than he was a month ago. But he is eating and today he was in good form. In fact, one nurse told me that when she went in to see him this morning he said "where have you been?" and when she told him, he said "you only need to take care of me". So he was talking today and expressing himself well at times.

When we arrived at his new home and the transport driver got him into his bed in his room, then the owner, Donna, came in and asked him if he wanted some juice and introduced herself to him and told him she would be taking care of him. After she left the room to get his juice, he said to me, "do you know these people?".
I am still laughing over that!! I then once again explained to him that yes, I knew them and I had met them this week when I had been hunting a home for him, and that they were very nice people and he was going to like them. He just said "OK".

About 10 minutes later our previous hospice social worker, Samantha, arrived to check on Joe and see if he was in his new home and all right, and she had with her his NEW hospice nurse, Karen, who I have already realized is wonderful. She spent time with Joe, reviewed his meds,and said she had seen Joe before at his other home when she visited there a couple times with Millie, his previous hospice nurse. So she already sort of knew him and knew how much Millie liked him too. Hospice is now taking care of all his meds and having them delivered to the home. They also provided him with a hospital bed with side rails and of course, had already provided him with his wheelchair. The wheelchair had gotten misplaced and gone to wrong place, and I spent 2 hours getting it and returning it to the home. So did not get to go to my cancer support group dinner tonight, but it is ok-am too tired now to go anywhere. It's done and over with now, and we move forward. It feels good to have him in this home, and I feel I can trust these people to care for him just as I want him cared for. That is very important to me.
Another new chapter has begun.