Saturday, August 18, 2007

The rest of my Saturday was very sad

Even though the blog below this one is a happy blog, my morning was very sad.
This morning I attended the funeral services for my friend Carmen Gress. Carmen was my neighbor on 17th Place, the house we lived in before moving to the condo in early 2006. I have known Carmen since 1996, and we did many lunches, and shopping, and talking in those years. She was an expert professional seamstress and made many things for me, pillows, drapes, bed skirts, tablecloths, napkins, and altered a jillion things for me, and the list goes on and on. But here is my favorite Carmen story- when I was in hospital in 2002, for my second knee replacement, I was showered with gifts and flowers and visits from friends. Carmen came to see me all 5 days I was in the hospital and what she brought me was CARMEX lip balm. I have never used anything else since. I cannot be without it. It was my favorite gift and the one I needed most. My lips were so dry and cracked and parched from being out cold from 7 hours of anesthesia sleep, and the lip balm was exactly what I needed most and what only Carmen knew to bring. Thank you Carmen!
I hit Savers many times with Carmen. I was looking for bargains for myself, and Carmen was looking for bargains for anyone she knew who was "in need", or for a friend or relative. Never knew her to buy anything for herself. She made all her own clothes and they were exquisite. Also, since she wore "child sizes", she had to make her own clothes for them to fit her. She was the tiniest person I have ever known.
The service this morning was a wonderful tribute to her and there were at least 300 people in attendance! The luncheon following services at Auntchiladas, was wonderful also, and a huge room was reserved for all her family and friends. Richard you did a great job and paid perfect respect and tribute to Carmen! Well done!
Carmen was born Janaury 15, 1940 and died on August 12, 2007. Just 3-4 days before she died, I received a birthday card from Carmen and Richard. Amazing! Some well and functioning people can't remember anyone's birthday, but Carmen was dying and yet she remembered! I will miss you, Carmen. But am oh so happy to know you are whole, well, and free in spirit, and no more pain and chemo!