The update on Joe is that he seems to have aspiration pneumonia and has had a low grade fever for past two days of 99-100, and this will probably continue. His lungs are quite congested and he seems to do more choking and coughing each day. He did not eat today (and only a couple bites yesterday) and even choked on water sometimes today. I spent six hours with him today and am now going every day and spending as much time there as possible. The new home's hours cut off at 7:00 pm, so I leave by or before that time. If there are any changes during night, she will call me.
This afternoon Rev. Mitzi came to see Joe and brought two singers with her- Merilee (who I had not met before), and Jessica (who I heard sing at a concert at my church recently). Merilee sang two beautiful songs I did not know. Jessica sang "When I Fall in Love" and made us all cry,
and also sang "Somewhere Over The Rainbow" and "Unforgettable" (Nat King Cole).
Then Merilee and Jessica sang acapella together, "Amazing Grace", one of Joe's favorites, and made us all cry again. They both said they felt honored to be there.
Then Rev. Mitzi performed an anointing service for Joe, It was absolutely beautiful. She anointed and blessed his brain (his thoughts), his eyes, his lips, his legs and feet, which will soon walk with the Divine. She blessed all his body (and thanked it and each part of it), for how they helped him through out his lifetime on this earth, and had served him well. Then did a blessing of giving him permission to go when he is ready, and then asked me to give him permission and say something to him too. It was a moving and beautiful ceremony.
I am so grateful for Mitzi. I would be there alone without her. She has been there with Joe and me, many times and is on call 24/7 to me, to talk or pray. I really do not know what I would have done without her, since I have no one else to be there for me. I have many friends, but all are busy with their own lives, and are not on call to me, or could come right away. All I have to do is call and she is there. It has meant so much to me, more than I can begin to express. Last Thursday night when this began, I talked to her three times. I have no one else who fills her shoes. She even said I could call her at any time or any hour, and I know she means it. I am forever grateful.
