I started this online journal one year ago. I was looking back at what I had written in September 2006 when Joe first entered a care home. I saw this statement I wrote on September 25th last year, and knew how much it held true for today as well.
"There is no such thing in anyone's life as an unimportant day"....Alexander Woolcot, American writer, died 1943. I was thinking not much to write about today and then realized that was not true. Every day we live is important. So this is about my day, and my visit to Joe.
Yesterday things changed with Joe, and I got several calls in the afternoon that he was not feeling well and had an elevated temperature. It was 101 at about 3:30 and by 6:00 when I called it had risen to 103. Not good. I left and went to see him and stayed until 9:30 last night.
They are giving him Tylenol, and I had several talks with the hospice nurse, and by the time I left it had dropped a bit. I talked to his caregiver this morning and the temperature was still going up and down but was at 100 when I called. I plan to go see him shortly.
I spent all of yesterday morning searching microfiche at the downtown County Recorder's office.
Have been very actively involved with the VA getting information they need, searching for it, calling people, going to the VA office, and so on. This was also spurred into action by my turning Joe's file over to John McCain's office in Phoenix. It turns out there is one gentleman in his office who works only on veterans issues, so he was the one who reviewed the file and contacted VA. I learned several things I did not know until this week, as to requirements we thought we had met (providing information) that we still need to provide. Hopefully, soon this can now all get approved and Joe can receive some disability pension benefits. It has been a very, very busy past two days working on this and getting it all together, but it is exhilarating to know you found what is needed after hours of searching. (thank you Brigitte and Ben for your guidance)
My longtime friend, Marian, came from the Cottonwood/Sedona area to Phoenix for the day yesterday and spent four hours with me yesterday afternoon talking and getting caught up on each other's news and happenings. We had a wonderful visit. I had not seen her for several years. She and her husband Gary are very busy with the retreat they own, which is a wonderful place called Western Spirit Center and Retreat. www.westernspiritranch.com
I first met Marian and Gary at Unity Church many years ago. It was wonderful having this lovely afternoon with Marian. I give thanks every day for the wonderful friends in my life.
Rev. Mitzi was there for me and for Joe today also. I talked to her several times on the phone last evening and she volunteered to come see Joe, but it was late and didn't want her to, so she prayed with me on the phone. I talked to her again after I got home last night. Am so thankful for her love, care, concern, and prayers. Her words to me when I was with Joe last night were such a blessing, "Ruth, you are not alone in this."
Just another plug for Marian's retreat also: (check it out)
Western Spirit Enrichment Center, Inc.
(An Arizona non-profit corporation)
1-866-ONESPIRIT (663-7747)
P.O. Box 386
Sedona, AZ 86339-0386
info@westernspiritranch.com
