Saturday, September 15, 2007

Just the opening and closing of a door.............

I think I am doing pretty good, but am beginning to wonder. I know none of us see ourselves as others see us. Tonight I got an email saying I sound confused. Well, sometimes I am, I guess. Makes me wonder if I am doing as well as I think I am.
I have been wearing since Monday the Safe Return bracelet Joe was wearing when he died. I noticed a couple days ago that on the back of the bracelet it says " I am mentally impaired".
I took the bracelet off tonight. I wore it for six days and am sure Joe would understand about me taking it off. (he might even get a good laugh out of it, and maybe he has!)
I did wonder a couple days ago what would happen if I were in an accident and they read that on the bracelet!

It has taken all week to make all the arrangements and do all the necessary things I needed and wanted to do. This morning I realized I was a bit worried about tonight as I had nothing to do and would be alone faced with doing nothing (except thinking). Two friends saved the day and night for me. The first one I inititated by calling my friend Belinda and going to her home this afernoon for a couple of hours. Just before I did that, my dear friend Theresa called me and said she was coming over and wanted to spend time with me. So she came over at 5:30 and we went to the Hole in the Wall restaurant at the Pointe resort and ate a fantastic dinner outside by the pool and waterfalls, and it was pleasant weather and very nice and refreshing experience. I had the best grilled salmon I have ever had and the atmosphere and company were WONDERFUL.
Then Theresa and I came back to my condo and we went to the pool for rest of evening until after 9;00. That was great too. We also did the jacuzzi and talked and talked. I was grateful for Theresa! I was thinking today how 14 years ago she was at my home right away and there for me the whole week when my son Frankie died, and now she has spent two days with me this week. What a special friend she is! And I am grateful! I count myself blessed that she is in my life. And she seems to know what I need without me saying a word.

I received the most wonderful letter and poem today (and a Unity booklet) from the very dear Rev. Flo Dibblee, who I have known many years. I would like to share it as it was perfect for her to send it to me (just as she knew it would be). She had a note on the back of the very bulky envelope , "this was as hard to wrap as a wooden spoon. Love you, Flo".
It made me wonder if she remembered the time at Christmas 2000, when I gave her a wooden spoon tied with a favorite recipe attached, and she told me later she said a prayer for me every time she looked at the spoon! I know I have to have the most amazing people in my life of anyone!
THE TRAVELER
by James Dillet Freeman
He has put on invisibility.
Dear Lord, I cannot see---
But this I know, although the road ascends
And passes from my sight,
That there will be no night;
That YOU will take him gently by the hand
And lead him on along the road of life that never ends,
And he will find it is not death but dawn.
I do not doubt that you are there as here,
And YOU will hold him dear.
Our life did not begin with birth,
It is not of the earth;
And this that we call death, it is no more then the opening and closing of a door--
And in Your house how many rooms must be,
Beyond this one were we rest momently.
Dear Lord, I thank you for the faith that frees,
The love that knows it cannot lose its own;
The love that, looking through the shadows, sees that You and he and I are one!
Thank you, my beloved Flo!