Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Last Blog

This blog began in September 2006, one year ago, when Joe entered the care home. It has been a good outlet for me dealing with his disease and care, and my life's ups and downs, and now needs to close. I will start another blog at a different address.

Joe's celebration of life service on Saturday 22nd was as perfect as a memorial could be. Everything I planned worked perfectly and then many more added blessings were given to what I planned. I could never have dreamed for the perfection that it was, and the events and words that occurred without my planning. It was awesome, or as J.C. Walker said on phone to me yesterday, it was "phenomenal". Yes, it was. It was also pure Joe. It was the most unique service I had ever experienced, and those same words were said to me over and over by everyone I spoke with. It lasted two hours, but everyone said it felt like 30 minutes. The impromptu singing by Tommie Jr's five daughters of "This little light of mine" was amazing. I could never have imagined such a blessed thing happening and it was wonderful. And then the many people who stood and told "Joe stories" amazed me also- so many, many wonderful words about Joe and all funny and incredible. The one thing I know to be true, is that no one who was there will ever forget it.

There were 141 friends and family members present. The DVD of Joe that Deidre created was beyond words wonderful. We laughed and cried and celebrated the wonderful person Joe was.
Rev. Mitzi's message and Rev. Michele's recorded message were fantastic. And the wonder of the day as always, was Renee Morgan Brooks singing Amazing Grace, The Rose, and We Will Meet Again. Everyone told me they had never heard anyone sing like Renee. What a blessing for her to share her amazing talent with all of us and be the loving soul and presence that she was. And Jimmy Boyd, the jazz master musician was the best in the valley and we had him on Saturday- another truly amazing performance as he played six Duke Ellington songs. The hit of the day and the most laughter was the fun we had listening to Louis Jordan sing four songs of fun and celebration. The only mistake I made was not telling people they could dance in the aisles to his music, as many said they wanted to! It was just that kind of day and Joe loved it I know!

Deidre gave a wonderful, loving tribute to her father; Tommie Jr., Joe's cousin, also gave a wonderful tribute to Joe; and I read a letter to Joe. Jean June from the Muhammad Ali Center spoke as did Jana, the owner of Joe's first care home. I asked Trevor to sit by me and loved being with my wonderful grandson. Trevor's father was at the service as was Trevor's best friend, Milad. Heidi's boss and several of her friends were there too. My friend, Esther, flew in from Washington DC for the service, and another dear friend, Mary, came in from San Diego.
A lunch was served after the services that Joe would have loved- we had all his favorites- barbecue beef sandwiches, potato salad, sweet potato pie, and more. My friend Peggy came from Tucson, and surprised me too. I had so many friends there, cannot list them all, and appreciated everyone of them being there for me. My sister, Nancy also came from Kansas and stayed five days with me. So many of Joe's cousins were there and it was such a joy and blessing.

You were the most loved person I could ever know, Joe! I sleep with your prayer bear and I cry for you every night and I will love you forever.