Saturday, September 23, 2006

Saturday visit with Joe

Today I picked up my grandson, Trevor, in Tempe and we went to lunch at his favorite Mexican restaurant not far from his home (Serrano's). After that we went to see Joe. We got there about 2:30 pm and I thought Joe would just be waking up from his nap. It turned out he was just going down for his nap! His friend since childhood, Don, had been there and left minutes before we came. I could see Joe was tired and needing his nap but he was so happy to see Trevor that he got up anyway.

We went into the living room and talked for awhile and spent a good portion of that time hunting for his glasses. I can see this is going to be a problem, as he has two pairs of glasses there-one for reading and one for watching TV-and he gets them mixed up. Today one of the staff finally found his distance glasses but no one could find his reading glasses. I think his glasses were in someone else's glass case but not sure. I finally told Joe we would leave and he needed to get a nap. Trevor and I walked him to his room, and Trevor put on Joe's Ray Charles CD for him, and then we got him in bed. I kissed Joe and then Trevor kissed him, and Joe reached out his arm to Trevor and said. "You are my heart."

That did me in, it was a tearjerker ending for sure. Joe really adores Trevor and had asked where Trevor was twice this week. I was so glad Trevor could go to see him today.

The Villa has their 9th resident as of today. They now have another woman, Leslie- so am sure Pat is happy about that. I did not get to meet Leslie today. Pat was getting a perm-it was Beauty Salon day! Herman's door was closed and I hope and pray he is ok. I will find out tomorrow. It was very quiet there today-I think everyone was napping this afternoon.
I did get Joe's roomate, Bob to speak to us today. I greeted him and introduced him to Trevor and he even smiled. He usually never says anything. So this was progress! Trevor was impressed with the home and liked it. He saw it was nothing like a standard nursing home and I think he was happy his grandfather was in such a lovely place. Joe's standard comment every time I see him is, "this is one big-ass house!"
No complaining today. He was too sleepy and tired to complain, and think he is settling in more each day. Thank you, God.