After reporting two challenging days with Joe and his changes, today was a different story. He is refusing the wheelchair now, and he does walk (most of the time) but it is not the same walk he was doing last week. He takes tiny steps and acts very unsure. Also, the choking and swallowing issues are much better, as Hospice got the meds changed this morning after I called them. He is now doing his Rx for the problem as well as Sudafed morning and evening. It has greatly helped the swallowing and choking. I got to his home about a half hour before his dinner (I wanted to be there to see how he ate) and he was sitting in the living room and did talk to me- in fact, said quite a number of things- none which made any sense to me. He told me he hardly ever sees the next door neighbor anymore. (there is no next door neighbor he knows or has ever seen there). He kept saying phrases about things that had no relation to one another or had anything to do with anything. Strictly all out in left field, making no sense, but he WAS speaking. I just nod and agree with him.
I helped him with his dinner- cut up his meat and helped him get it on the fork. He did pretty good with his spoon, but did need help often. Maggie was working this evening and she said when I am not there, she helps him eat. I know the girls are great with helping the residents, so I do not worry about it. So today was a better day and even some good news.
