This morning I called Joe's care home to see how he was doing before I left for church. They said he was eating breakfast and better than yesterday. So I went to church (today visited New Vision in Scottsdale and met my friend Nikki there) and after church we went for Chinese food. About 2:00 I went to Joe's care home and he was asleep. I had thought he might be, so had thrown a book and workbook for a new class I am taking in the car this morning, and headed for Borders bookstore cafe.I love to go there to do reading and homework.
It was exceptionally HOT today, especially in my car baking in the sun, so got a yummy iced coffee and settled down to do some class work. (after calling Esther in DC and chatting for awhile)
At 4:30 I headed back to the care home (I was just 5 minutes away)and Joe had just woke up when I got there. They tried to stand him up but he cannot stand without someone holding on to him, so they got him back in his wheelchair. He is very shaky and wobbly. It looks to me like the wheelchair is going to be a permanent thing for him. It is like he had a major shift overnight Friday, as he is quite different now than he ws a week ago. I wheeled him to the table and stayed with him while he had dinner. He is feeding himself today, but not very well. He wants to do it though and is very independent, so I would just sometimes take his fork and be sure I got the baked chicken speared on it for him. He did have some challenges trying to spear the food with the fork.
He ate a nice meal of baked chicken, rice and green beans with sliced peaches for dessert, and he ate very well. He is still losing weight though. That is just part of the advanced Alzheimer's and he may continue to lose weight even though he is eating. It was certainly a major shift in the disease this weekend. I look at him and he will barely say a word and his eyes are as blank as can be. It is difficult to see this happening. I refuse to break down in front of him as it would upset him.
