Friday, July 27, 2007

Thank God for friends

I have always said friends were my family too, and they are, and they are so there for me right now when I need it. I have had so many beautiful calls and emails, and want to share two of them I got this morning, because the message in them is universal for everyone, not just me. I have more but these two made me cry this morning and that is ok too.

Dear Ruth,
Thank you for this message. It brings back memories of my experiences taking care of first, my father, then my husband, and then my mother when they were dying. Each experience and circumstance was different, but I remember feeling as you expressed. As sad and stressful as it was, it was also a "gift of time." I remembered thinking of the first line from The Tale of Two Cities,:"It was the best of times and the worst of times."
I can remember looking into their eyes and seeing an innocence and purity of spirit. When I expressesd this to a retreat director at the CASA, he said that from his experience, it was like looking into the eyes of God.

(Sheila was the leader of my cancer support group at Wellness Community)

And this from my dear longtime friend Theresa:

Ruth, I know in my heart Joe feels your presence at all times and knows that you are his love. Joe's mind may not function the way it used to and his body is reacting to all that confusion, but LOVE never stops. I believe that when Joe talks he musters all he has left in him to say the one important thing left, who he is and what you mean to him.........by saying to you - I LOVE YOU. My friend that is a blessing and wonderful memory that you will always have.

I know the GIFT you speak of and we a truly blessed to have experienced it. Not too many people have the strength to be a part of a wonderful place of nurturing and guiding someone home.

These two just said it all. And explain the gift involved and the blessing in everything. Theresa's mother died a few years ago, and she knows.
I also consider my friends a gift, and love all the emails pouring in from them, My minister just called and she will see Joe on Sunday and I was able to have a nice talk with her. The support is wonderful and I thank everyone.